These affiliates are eligible to use DocXpress - Lane's Document Delivery Services
- Stanford School of Medicine staff, faculty and students
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics and Lucille Packard Children's Hospital staff
- Bioengineering/BioX students
- Stanford undergraduate HumBio majors
*Note: Stanford University affiliates (including undergraduates who are not HumBio or BioX majors) should use Stanford University Libraries Interlibrary Loan.
For more detailed information using-lib your affiliate status, see Library Privileges page.
Articles and Book Chapter PDFs
We will deliver PDF files of articles and book chapters to your DocXpress account. The service is free to eligible Docxpress users as listed above.
Rush and Urgent Patient care service levels are available on article and book chapter requests. We will make all efforts to obtain as quickly as possible but the turnaround time is determined by the lending library. The average turnaround time on a normal request is usually 1 to 2 days.
Duplicate Request Fees
Due to budget restrictions, Lane Medical Library can no longer absorb the cost of obtaining a second copy - the average cost of the first copy: $50.00 (includes copyright fee) - However, we will be glad to obtain another copy for you for a $15.00 fee.
Scan on Demand
For a fee, Lane Document Delivery staff will create and deliver digital copies in PDF format to your DocXpress account of article and book chapters currently owned by a Stanford Library, but only available in print or microform. (No more than 2 book chapters from the same book). Available to students, faculty, and staff of the Stanford Medical School through DocXpress (free DocXpress account required).
Articles/book chapters from Lane Library :
- Up to 20 pages: $5.00
- 20¢ per page after 20 pages
Articles/book chapters from other Stanford Libraries:
- Same as above plus $5.00 fee for paging from another library
- A monthly invoice sent to you by e-mail attachment for requests filled within each calendar month.
If you are a first time user then:
- Go to the DocXpress homepage
- Select 'First time users: register now' then register.
- Registration requires a Stanford University or Stanford Health Care e-mail address.
- To obtain an article through DocXpress: Start from Lane Search or PubMed (Outside of Stanford please access PubMed from Lane's website)
For returning users:
- From a Lane page, click-on "My Lane Login"
- Login using your SUNet ID, SID or Stanford Children's ID and password
- Use the Lane Search or Click on the link to PubMed (upper right part of Lane's home page).
- Search for the article.
- When you display the PubMed record for an article you will see a "Stanford" button in the upper right, click on this button.
- On the FindIt@Stanford page select "Lane DocXpress (found under "Request Article"). The login screen for DocXpress will appear.
- Fill in any special instructions, select from the drop-down menu for "Rush" and "Urgent Patient Care" if applicable.
- Click on the "Submit Request" Button
- You will receive an e-mail notification when the article is available
- Log into your DocXpress account
- You can download the article from your account.
If you have a citation already you can go directly to your DocXpress account then key in the citation information. But finding the article on PubMed works best because the DocXpress form auto-populates, thus eliminating any delays resulting from typos or incomplete citations.
- PTA (Dept. Account)
- Personal check
- Cash (exact amount only, payable in-person at the front desk of the library)
- Credit card
Interlibrary Loan enables access and delivery of materials, such as print copies of books, held by other libraries around the world.
Books usually take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive. You will receive an email notification when the book has arrived at Lane and is ready for you to pick up. Submit a request for renewal 3 days prior due date. Renewals are not automatic and are subject to the renewal policy of the lending library.
Inter-library loan is not available to non-Stanford users. Stanford users not affiliated with the medical school may make Inter-library loan requests through the Stanford University Libraries Interlibrary Loan.
Approval for renewal depends upon the policy of the library that owns the item. Renewals are not automatic and we cannot renew ILL items without the other library's permission.
Renewal requests should be submitted at least three days before the item is due. This will give you a chance to return an item on time, in the event that the lender is unwilling to renew it. ILL staff send due date reminder emails three days prior to the due date.
If you will still need an item after its due date and cannot renew then submit a new request and the Inter-Library Loan staff will try to borrow the same book from another library.
To request a renewal: log into your DocXpress Account and use the ""submit a renewal request"" option.
Renewal requests can also be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 650-725-4584